Division of Cardiology
- Competition No.:
- Position Type:
The Canadian VIGOUR Centre (CVC) has an excellent opportunity for a dynamic individual interested in becoming part of an academic research organization (ARO) committed to the enhancement of cardiovascular health (www.thecvc.ca).
The Canadian VIGOUR Centre (CVC) is an ARO located on the University of Alberta (UofA) campus with focus on cardiovascular disease, therapies, and health outcomes, and acquiring expertise ranging from clinical trials to regional registries and population-based cohorts. This position will participate in population health outcomes research by supporting the research team in the management and analysis of related data and in the generation and/or validation of academic peer-reviewed publications.
Working closely with the principal investigator and the CVC research faculty, the Biostatistician will have the following:
- Plans research activities; provides research design and evaluation of research projects including study design, selection of patient cohorts to appropriately answer the questions of interest and choice of the statistical analyses
- Documents and maintains references (documents, analytic outputs and code), determines the most appropriate methodology in carrying out identified research goals, organizes the data and conducts advanced statistical analysis of research results for future replications and/or extensions of the results
- Designs experiments, data collection protocols and standards, prepares proposals for new research activities including assisting in the preparation of research grant applications and contract proposals
- Conducts data quality control and assurance on analytical output, tests statistical methods on data, assists data cleaning processes and presents issues related to the analysis to biostatistic colleagues
- Ensures the accuracy of the computations applied on the data to obtain statistical estimates and writes code in computer software (SAS or R) to carry the statistical analysis
- Links several data (administrative health, financial and census covering the province of Alberta and Canada) and presents the results of the statistical analysis in table, figures and writing summaries of the statistical methods employed to be included in manuscripts and/or presentations including laboratory meetings, seminars, scientific conferences and related settings
- Coordinates research agreements between multiple constituents including the U of A and Alberta Health Services, Government of Alberta, Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI), and other agencies, and serves as a liaison between CVC and other UofA or external academic research groups
- Guides and coaches students and/or post-doctoral fellows and supervises PhD and MSc level analysts undertaking research projects
- Assists in related administrative duties
- MSc in (bio) statistics or epidemiology or related field is required
- At least 2 years relevant work experience with large, multiple dataset management and analysis is required; previous experience with administrative and large population-based data is required
- Prior experience and expertise using Canadian administrative datasets (such as CIHI or similar) an asset
- Proficiency in programming and analysis using major statistical packages (i.e., SAS and/or R) is required; designing macros, and internal and external validation of code and output would be an asset
- Proven competence in basic and advanced statistical methods commonly used in applied health research is required, particularly those using observational data
- Proven ability to work well independently and as a part of a research team is required
- A solid command of the English language (written and verbal) is required
- Excellent time management in a multi-project environment, attention to detail, exceptional communication skills and generating high-quality deliverables are required
In accordance with the Trust/Research Academic Staff Agreement, this position has a term length of one year, with the possibility of extension, and offers a comprehensive benefits package found at Faculty & Staff Benefits and an annual salary range of $58,210 – $80,050. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
How to Apply
Please visit Competition No. A100636977 on the Careers @ University of Alberta website to apply.