The VICTORIA study is a randomized parallel-group, placebo-controlled, double-blind, event-driven, multi-center pivotal phase III clinical outcome trial of efficacy and safety of the oral sGC simulator Vericiguat in subjects with heart failure with reduced ejection fraction (HFrEF).
Resources and further information about the VICTORIA study can be found below.
Late-Breaking Clinical Trial Presentation
The VICTORIA trial was presented as a Late-Breaking Clinical Trial on March 28, 2020 at the virtual American College of Cardiology’s 69th Annual Scientific Session Together With World Congress of Cardiology (ACC.20/WCC).
Press Releases & Media
Patient Enrollment (2016)
Study Results (March 2020)
- University of Alberta Press Release
- American College of Cardiology Press Release
- Bayer Press Release
- Merck Press Release
U.S. FDA Approval (January 2021)
- Interview with Drs. Peter Block and Paul Armstrong (ACC.org)
- VICTORIA: Vericiguat reduces events in high-risk HF (Helio -Cardiology Today)
- Vericiguat Cuts Admissions in HFrEF (MedPage Today)
- VICTORIA: Vericiguat seen as novel success in tough-to-treat, high-risk heart failure (Medscape)
- New drug could potentially offer better treatment for chronic heart failure (Folio)
- VICTORIA: With Vericiguat, Less CV Death, Heart Failure Hospitalization Among High-Risk Patients (AJMC)
- House Call: VICTORIA, ACC 2020 Recap (MD Magazine)
- Interview with Drs. Harriette Van Spall and Paul Armstrong (Radcliffe Cardiology)
- Be The Cure Research Story: Deborah McLeod’s Experience as a Participant in the VICTORIA trial (BeTheCure)
- MedEd Talks: Heart Failure Management: Guideline-directed Therapy and Unmet Needs With Drs. Paul Armstrong and Carolyn Lam (Healio)
- MedEd Talks: sGC Modulators: Unique Mechanism of Action and Rationale for Use in Heart Failure With Drs. Paul Armstrong and Carolyn Lam (Healio)
- MedEd Talks: The Clinical Evidence: Efficacy and Safety of sGC Modulators in Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction With Drs. Paul Armstrong and Javed Butler (Healio)
- MedEd Talks: sGC Modulators: Role in Current Treatment Paradigms for Heart Failure With Drs. Paul Armstrong and Javed Butler (Healio)
- FDA approves new cardiovascular drug based on study from U of A’s Canadian VIGOUR Centre (Folio)
Voors AA, Mulder H, Reyes E, Cowie MR, Lassus J, Hernandez AF, Ezekowitz JA, Butler J, O’Connor CM, Koglin J, Lam CSP, Pieske B, Roessig L, Ponikowski P, Anstrom KJ, Armstrong PW; VICTORIA Study Group. Renal Function and the Effects of Vericiguat in Patients with Worsening Heart Failure with Reduced Ejection Fraction: Insights from VICTORIA (VerICiguaT Global Study in Subjects with HFrEF) Trial. Eur J Heart Fail. 2021. doi: 10.1002/ejhf.2221.
Lam CSP, Giczewska A, Carolyn S. P. Lam, Sliwa K, Edelmann F, Refsgaard J, Bocchi E, Ezekowitz JA, Hernandez AF, O’Connor CM, Roessig L, Patel MJ, Pieske B, Anstrom KJ, Armstrong PW; VICTORIA Study Group. Clinical Outcomes and Response to Vericiguat According to Index Heart Failure Event: Insights From the VICTORIA Trial. JAMA Cardiol. 2020. doi:10.1001/jamacardio.2020.6455.
Ezekowitz JA, O’Connor CM, Troughton RW, Alemayehu WG, Westerhout CM, Voors AA, Butler J, Lam CSP, Ponikowski P, Emdin M, Patel MJ, Pieske B, Roessig L, Hernandez AF, Armstrong PW. N-Terminal Pro-B-Type Natriuretic Peptide and Clinical Outcomes: Vericiguat Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction Study. JACC Heart Fail. 2020. doi: 10.1016/j.jchf.2020.08.008.
Armstrong PW, Pieske B, Anstrom KJ, Ezekowitz J, Hernandez AF, Butler J, Lam CSP, Ponikowski P, Voors, AA, Jia G, McNulty SE, Patel MJ, Roessig L, Koglin J, O’Connor CM; VICTORIA Study Group. Vericiguat in Patients with Heart Failure and Reduced Ejection Fraction. N Engl J Med. 2020;382: 1883-1893. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1915928.
Butler J, Anstrom KJ, Armstrong PW; VICTORIA Study Group. Comparing The Benefit Of Novel Therapies Across Clinical Trials: Insights from the VICTORIA Trial. Circulation. 2020; 142: 717-719. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.120.047086.
Pieske B, Patel MJ, Westerhout CM, Anstrom KJ, Butler J, Ezekowitz J, Hernandez AF, Koglin J, Lam CSP, Ponikowski P, Roessig L, Voors AA, O’Connor CM, Armstrong PW; VICTORIA Study Group. Baseline features of the VICTORIA (Vericiguat Global Study in Subjects with Heart Failure with Reduced Ejection Fraction) trial. Eur J Heart Fail. 2019;21:1596-1604. doi: 10.1002/ejhf.1664.
Armstrong PW, Roessig L, Patel MJ, Anstrom KJ, Butler J, Voors AA, Lam CSP, Ponikowski P, Temple T, Pieske B, Ezekowitz J, Hernandez AF, Koglin J, O’Connor CM. A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial of the Efficacy and Safety of the Oral Soluble Guanylate Cyclase Stimulator: The VICTORIA Trial. JACC Heart Fail. 2018;6:96-104. doi: 10.1016/j.jchf.2017.08.013.